Saturday, November 8, 2014

Ristorante Paradiso

Original title: リストランテパラディーゾ
Polish title: Ristorante Paradiso
Author: Ono Natsume
Publisher: Hanami
Language: Polish
English edition: Ristorante Paradiso published by Viz
Genre: Josei, drama, romance, slice of life

This is the first title published by Hanami I've read that I really don't know what to think about. First of all the story just seems unrealistic to me. The main characters and the way they handle their emotions - what kind of real person behaves that way? Plastic dolls - maybe, but definitely not living, feeling people. Then we have the plot, which - apart from being unrealistic - is simply boring and definitely not entertaining at all. It really could have been a great story if only the author had put a little effort in developing the characters - but as they are, they seem shallow to me. Too shallow to identify with whoever in the story.

And finally the drawings... Some of you might say that the author's style is unique - well, in my opinion it's simply ugly. With every page I couldn't shake off the feeling I'm looking at dead people. It really is sometimes creepy, I just couldn't enjoy the art in this manga.

As usual in Hanami mangas, there are a lot of punctuation errors and some typos (even in people's names, for goodness' sake!). On almost every page there are some Italian phrases, but I suppose it was the author's intention, so I won't complain about it.

The manga's a oneshot and a rather short one, so if you're interested - go ahead and try it, maybe you'll like it. But to me it was the weakest Hanami manga I've read so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment